Reconnect with Food by Rabia Rashad
Learn how our food creator from Europe creates a starch and carbohydrate rich potato-based savoury suhoor and iftar this Ramadan.
Suhoor: Potato Hash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- (550g) 2 large potatoes peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 2 teaspoon spring onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dried thymes as needed
- 1 tablespoon crumbly cheese
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add potatoes, season with salt and black pepper, toss to coat with oil
- Place a lid on the pan and allow the potatoes to cook covered for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and increase the heat to medium high.
- Add butter, onion and bell pepper.
- Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes and vegetables turn golden brown.
- Season with cumin and thymes.
- Make two holes to poach 2 eggs and add some crumbly cheese.
- Sprinkle some dried thyme leaves.
- Cover with for a few minutes just enough to cook the eggs.
- Top with spring onions.Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Iftar: Cheesy Chicken and Potato Bake with White Sauce
- (324 gram) 2 chicken breasts, cut in small dices
- (600 gram) 2-3 large potatoes, cut in half inch thick slices
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce or tomato paste
- (45 gram) 1 tbsp of butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 400 milliliter milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- Dried basil leaves for topping
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 330°F/165°C.
- Add the potatoes in an oven tray. Season them with dried thyme, salt, pepper, paprika powder and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Make sure all of them are covered with spices and oil.
- Roast them for the next 20-30 minutes.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and chicken and cook it for 6-7 minutes.
- Season with cumin powder, garlic powder, red chilli powder, salt.
- Stir well until well combined then add diced bell pepper.
- Add the tomato sauce, stir, and leave it on heat for 2 more minutes.
- Melt the butter in a skillet.
- Slowly add the flour, while vigorously whisking, so it can be absorbed into the butter.
- Gradually pour the milk and keep whisking until the sauce becomes smooth and thick.
- Season with salt, black pepper and dried oregano, and turn off the heat.
- Transfer roasted potatoes in a large casserole.
- Top them with the cooked chicken.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken.
- Sprinkle grated mozzarella and cheddar cheese.
- Top with dried basil leaves.
- Slide the tray into the oven for the next 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbly.
Serve and enjoy!
What’s your Reaction?