The Descendent of Quraysh: Prophet Muhammad ﷺ and His Familyby Farida Haji
The Prophet ﷺ said:
إِنَّ اللَّهَ اصْطَفَى مِنْ وَلَدِ إِبْرَاهِيمَ إِسْمَاعِيلَ وَاصْطَفَى مِنْ وَلَدِ إِسْمَاعِيلَ بَنِي كِنَانَةَ وَاصْطَفَى مِنْ بَنِي كِنَانَةَ قُرَيْشًا وَاصْطَفَى مِنْ قُرَيْشٍ بَنِي هَاشِمٍ وَاصْطَفَانِي مِنْ بَنِي هَاشِمٍ
Indeed Allah has chosen Isma’il from the children of Ibrahim, and He chose Banu Kinanah from the children of Isma’il, and He chose the Quraish from Banu Kinanah, and He chose Banu Hashim from Quraish, and He chose me from Banu Hashim.
[Jami At-Tirmidhi, no. 3605]
Prophet Adam to Prophet Muhammad ﷺ
Rasulullah’s ﷺ ancestors through Islamic traditions can be traced back to Prophet Adam and Prophet Ismail.
Prophet Muhammad ﷺ was the first and only son of Abdullah bin Al Muttalib and Amina bint Wahab. His father passed away before he was born, and his mother passed away when he was a few years old. His grandfather Abdul Muttalib took care of him. After the death of his grandfather, Abu Talib (brother, Abdullah bin Abdul Muttalib) took care of him.
Rasulullah’s ﷺ great-great-grandfather Abde Munaf descends from Fihr Ibn Malik, the primogenitor of the Quraysh tribe. The Quraysh tribe descends from a man named Adnan. The Adnanite Arabs descended from Prophet Ismail who is Prophet Ibrahim and his wife, Hagar’s firstborn. This historical ancestry can be traced to prophets Nuh, Seth and Adam.
According to Islamic history, there are:
- 10 generations between prophets Adam to Nuh
- It is unclear how many generations were between prophets Ibrahim and Nuh
- It is unclear how many generations were between prophet Ismail and Adnan
- 21 patrilineal generations between Adnan to Prophet Muhammad ﷺ
- Prophet Muhammad ﷺ lived from 570 to 632 CE
Mothers of the Believers, Wives of Muhammad ﷺ
The Prophet ﷺ lived a life of many tribulations. However, he was known to be extremely compassionate towards his family. He was monogamously married to Khadija for 25 years. They had 2 sons and 4 daughters.
After Khadija passed away, Rasulullah ﷺ married 11 other women. Marya al- Qibtiyya was the only bride after Khadija to bear a child.
The Chronological Order of Wives
- Khadija bint Khuwaylid: A wealthy merchant and widow. She was 15 years older than The Prophet. She passed away at the age of 65.
- Sawdah bint Zam’ah: She was a widow. The Prophet ﷺ married her.
- Aishah bint Abu Bakr: She was Abu Bakr’s daughter and married the Prophet ﷺ at a young age.
- Hafsah bint ‘Umar: Also a widow before she married the Prophet ﷺ.
- Zainab bint Khuzaimah: She was an elderly widow, also known as the mother of the poor.
- Umm Salamah: She was a widow with young children before she married the Prophet ﷺ.
- Zaynab bint Jahsh: A widow, she was also Prophet Muhammad’s ﷺ cousin, a skilled leatherworker when she married the Prophet ﷺ.
- Juwayriah bint Al-Harith: A widow and prisoner of the Muslim forces, the Prophet ﷺ freed and married her.
- Umm Habibah: An early convert of Islam, she divorced her husband for converting to Christianity. The Prophet ﷺ married her to save her from difficulties.
- Safiyya bint Huyayy: She was the daughter of a Jewish King and prisoner of war. She was freed and married the Prophet ﷺ.
- Maimunah bint Al-Harith: She offered herself in marriage and the Prophet ﷺ agreed.
- Maria al-Qibtiyya: Gifted to the Prophet ﷺ as a slave, he freed and married her.
Khadija and Zainab Bint Khuzaimah, passed away while the Prophet ﷺ lived.
The Prophet’s ﷺ Children
Prophet Muhammad ﷺ had a total of 7 children from 2 wives.
Prophet Muhammad ﷺ & Khadija
- Qasim Ibn Muhammed (598 – 601 CE)
- Zainab Ibn Muhammed (599 – 629 CE)
- Ruqaiya Ibn Muhammed (601 – 624 CE)
- Ummekulsum Ibn Muhammed (603 – 630 CE)
- Fatema Ibn Muhammed (605 – 632 CE)
- Abdullah Ibn Muhammed (611 – 615 CE)
Prophet Muhammad ﷺ & Maria al-Qibtiyya
- Ibrahim (630 – 632 CE)
The Prophet’s ﷺ Grandchildren
- Zainab was married to her maternal cousin Abul Aas ibn Rabi and had two children.
- Ali (died in infancy)
- Ummama married Ali ibn Abi Taalib after the demise of Fatema Ibn Muhammed
2. Ruqayya married Uthmaan ibn Affan and had one son.
- Abdullah (died in infancy)
3. Fatema was married to Ali ibn Abi Talib and had 5 children.
- Hasan (625 – 670 CE)
- Hussain (626 – 680 CE)
- Umme-kulthum (627 CE – unknown)
- Zainab (626 – 682 CE)
- Muhsin (died in the womb)
These are the beloved names of the Prophet Muhammad’s ﷺ ancestors and descendents, giving us a brief insight into the family line of the chosen one.
Note: The dates mentioned in the article may vary according to different Islamic/historical records.
This is the best posted I have ever read in my life ???? thank you if you can post more like this I will be appreciated.
Yes it’s very knowledgeable articles it’s easy to teach to our kids
We pray to live among Generations to come, Peace be upon the Holy Prophet and His house Hold. ❤️
I am very pleased with this article.
Jazak Allah Khairan.
Gained a lot of knowledge from this post. Very excited to read and learn more such new things.
Same here, Alhamdulillah…
I love this post!!!
MashaAllah very interesting Islamic history InshaAllah I will share this to my children
I really appreciate your efforts in writing this and making it available for all of us in such a simple way.
We believe whatever here is true, but I would suggest, giving appropriate references at various instances would add tremendous value to this work.
Masha Allah work done.
Very knowledgeable and easy to understand. Jazak Allah kheir
Please post more like this.
I love this post ????????????????
Ma sha Allah well done.
So much detail excellent!
May Allah swt reward you immensely.
I always look forward to reading your articles.
Alhamdu’Lillah best post ever!
Thanks a million for sharing such valuable information.
MashaAllah very insightful. Just please could you make the pictures bigger. JazakAllah
JazakAllahu khayr for this wonderful post. Please post more educational articles like this.
Masha Allah! This is so educating, I really enjoy reading this, I don’t even know when I reached the end. بارك الله فيك.
Thanks for sharing this useful information on our prophet Muhammed(SAW).
An insightful history,Kudos! More of it bihidnillah!
It’s really informative as lots of people still not aware of such kind of Islamic history , which every body should know before they die.
Thanks a lot
Very educative love ❤️ that keep it up ???? please
Masha Allah, thanks for this post
SubhanalAllah Beautiful May Allah swt be pleased with you for sharing such good knowledge.
SubhanalAllah Beautiful Allhumdo Lillaah May Allah Swt Keep you your family and all the Muslims Their families , all the Muslim Ummah, non Muslims safe, well and allow non Muslims to become Muslims In Shaa Allah swt Ameen Jazaak Allah Khayrun.
Alhamdulillah so nice
After Our Beloved ALLAH(SWT) Created The Human(To be His SWT’S Khaleefah on Earth) & Coronating him(pbuh) with A Special Guard of Honor “SALUTE” of Angels(ra), He(SWT) Did Not Want him(pbuh) to “ROT” like A Wandering “STRAY” Camel(Surah Al-Qiyamah) in The “DESERT”! Therefore, He(SWT) “CHOSE” A “FEW(pbut)” of them who(pbut) “UNDERTOOK” A “CONTRACT(Covenant)” with Him(SWT) to “STOP(By Hand, Tongue & Heart)” The “EVIL” & “ESTABLISH(By Divine Legislation, Police, Judiciary & Justice) The “VIRTUE”! So Graciously, He(SWT) Blessed them(pbut) with Special Help(Miracles) of “Floods, Cooling The Fire, Parting The Red Sea, Splitting The Moon etc., etc.
Our Beloved Prophet Muhammad(pbuh) was The Last of These Liaisons(pbut) between us & our Creator & Owner ALLAH(SWT) & we all are his(pbuh’s) Representatives on This Earth & have A Very Special “DUTY” after his(pbuh’s) Death to “CONTINUE” Stopping The “EVIL(By Hand, Tongue & Heart) & Establish The Divine “VIRTU(By Maximizing our Efforts)”! These “CHOSEN” Honorable Personalities(pbut) are “NOT” just A Piece of “HISTORY” b/c we all have to “COPY” Their(pbut’s) “CHARACTER, CONDUCT & PRACTICES” in our “LIVES” for our “ACCOUNTABILITY” in This Life & in The Hereafter! AAMEEN!
SO…SO…KIND of you for SHARING!
This is the best summary of the family Prophet Muhammad (S.A.W) I’ve ever read. JazakumlLahu khayran. May Allah continue to increase you in wisdom, knowledge and understanding.
Alhamdulillah! Posts like this increase knowledge about Islam. Keep it up
Amazing knowledge for us to learn and it has a better understanding from the roots where everything becomes simplified to us.. it starts to make sense from being puzzled to learn about those who walked the best path before us who left a great fingerprint in history for the next generation to be guided by Allah’s will. Alhamdulilah !!!
Best post ever
الله سبحان و تعالي bless the team behind this amazing informative post .
We all need this information for our selves and our generation to come .????????????
This was very educational to learn , I would want more of this to read
Mistake in Hasan’s birth and death date. Should be 620-674. Thanks
This is very informative and I really really appreciate this post. May Allah SWA reward for your information. Pls add more of these.
Great information ????❤️
Masha’Allah… May Allah reward You immensely for sharing this post about our beloved prophet’s family tree
Very interesting history about the Prophet Muhammad ,SAWS.
Interesting then why to we have so many families called Sayeds in the sub continent who trying hard to proof themselves a link with the prophets family ?
Thank you very much for sharing this knowledge. ALLAHOMMA SaLLe Ala SAYYIDONA Mohammad wa Ala Ahlehe Wa SAHBEHE Wa SaLLem
May Allah Subhsnawataala Reward you Amalan Shaleh/ Shalehah to give us Very Inporten Story of Our Beloving Prophet Rasulullah Muhammad Sallahu Alaihi Wasallam. In Shaa Allah . Amin Ya Mujibassalam
magnificent post, very informative. I ponder why the other experts of this sector do not realize this.
You must continue your writing. I am sure, you have a great readers’ base already!
Hello to every single one, it’s truly a pleasant for me to go to see this site,
it consists of precious Information.
What’s Taking place i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve discovered It absolutely helpful and it has helped me out loads.
I’m hoping to give a contribution & assist other customers like its aided me.
This website really has all of the information I
wanted concerning this subject and didn’t know who to ask.